This is the face of a mom sick of "touching all that poo!"
It is a scenario that is all to familiar for me. I enter a public establishment and take my fluffy bum baby into the restroom to change his diaper. A oblivious and hopefully well-meaning mom approaches and asks, "Are those cloth diapers?". I respond, "Yes they are." The reply can be one of two things. The first (and my favorite), "Wow! Those look really neat." Then I can give a tiny tidbit of info and back off. Now the second response goes like this, "Oh. Don't you get sick of 'insert any various negative statement about cloth'".
My absolute favorite "negative" that these mothers give is "Don't you hate touching all that poo!". I think I most likely give a complete look of disbelief and then usually just say "I bet I touch far less poo than you do!". That makes a great rhythm!
You touch poo.
I touch poo.
But I bet I touch less poo
than you do!
Cue images of two children (aka mothers) fighting on the playground over a silly toy.
As you can see, this is not my response. I do not start the "argument" over who is right and who is wrong. I honestly just feel bad for those mothers not having had the opportunity to experience the freedom (Yes I went there!) that cloth has to offer. I am not a slave to laundry and poo. I rarely touch poo and when I do it is honestly because I don't want to take the time to rinse my diaper off properly.
When my first was in disposables poo was my middle name. It was constantly on the bed sheets, on her clothes, and even in her hair!! I can say that since I have been cloth diapering I have not had a single case of "up-the-back" poo. This is a big relief to any parent that has dealt with the dreaded UTB poo. It is the worst!!
So try not to hold it against the well-meaning bathroom mother. She means no harm. Just know, you are awesome and you are saving yourself some money, some garbage, and keeping your baby's bottom happy.
(love my awesome poem- check out my other poetic cloth works here)



I used disposables on my son for 6 months and he had tons of "up the back" explosions. After switching to cloth he didn't have a single one. Cloth diapers really offer a better, snugger fit which is key when it comes to keeping explosions contained.
ReplyDeleteCute post :)
I love this post! Thanks for the funny rhyme...I can't stop saying it! I reblogged your post on my blog at sokoincloth.tumblr.com
ReplyDeleteIf you think that rhyme is good check out my cloth diaper poem ;)
ReplyDeletehttp://fluffybums.blogspot.com/2011/05/so-easy-you-can-do-it-in-dark-or-even.html