When I first started cloth diapering I didn't have the money up front to make a full stash purchase, so I purchased the bare minimum that would typically get me through a day. I purchased 4 covers and 12 prefolds. Then as I saved money from not having to purchase any disposables I slowly added to my stash. Now I am able to cloth diaper TWO full-time and have not felt a financial crunch from it at all!
With the methods below you may occasionally have those days where your baby is just using diapers like crazy. For those days, you may not have enough for a full-day (did not happen to me frequently, but did happen a couple times). Just be aware of how many diapers you have left so you will know when you need to start the wash.
A couple ways to buy new and not break the bank!
- Econobum for only $47.80!- If you buy 4 of the Econobum intro packs you would have 4 covers and 12 prefolds. This very well could get your baby diapered all day long. THIS IS A ONE SIZE OPTION! Will fit from 8-35 pounds
- Flip for only $99.90- If you puchase two Flip Day Packs you will have 4 covers and 12 prefolds. If you don't mind washing daily this can get you by. THIS IS A ONE SIZE OPTION! Will fit from 8-35 pounds!
- Bummis covers and prefolds for $68.55- Purchase a dozen prefolds and 4 Bummis covers and you will be set to start! This price is quoted with four of the super-brite wraps. This can be done for a little less if you use the super lite or original wraps.
- Thirsties Duo Wraps and prefolds $74.95- Purchase 4 Thirsties duo wraps and 12 prefolds. The Duo Wraps come in two sizes. You will only ever need to purchase two sizes of covers to get from birth to potty training.
- Hiney Lineys versa covers with prefolds $93.75- Purchase 4 Hiney Liney versa covers and 12 prefolds . You will start off using the cover as a standard cover. Just place the insert inside. This option would be good if you want to start off with a less expensive options but later move on to something like a pocket diaper. This would give you the option to purchase "lineys" later on to put over the prefolds and make this act as a pocket diaper! This is ONE SIZE! Will fit from 12 -35 pounds.

These really are great option to START with. Then as you save money from not buying all those disposables you can start adding some more items to your stash! For example, you may want to add some pocket diapers, more prefolds, different covers, ect. This is really just a suggestion for those who don't have the money up front to start a full stash.
But I don't want to wash daily to start with!!
If you do not want to wash daily you can purchase 8 of the Econobum intro packs for $95.60 and have two days worth of diapers for UNDER $100!!!
Why did you not quote any wet bags in the price??
When I was starting, since I was washing daily, I just used my washing machine as a wet bag. I put all dirty diapers in the washing machine. If I needed to do other laundry I just transferred the diapers to a plastic bag until I was ready. This eliminated the need of a wet bag for us. When I traveled I used a plastic bag. This is not recommended but can be done. I did it for months :) As you save up the money I would suggest getting at least one small wet bag and a large wet bag for home diaper storage, but these items are not a necessity so I did not add them in. It can be done without them :)



Well poo, the link you give is currently out of stock on the Econobum intro packs. :-(
ReplyDeleteAny inside scoop on when they'll be available? Please feel free to email me info.
I've been itching to get started with CD, but have been overwhelmed with the choices (and broke). Sasha is almost out of diapers, so I have extra "diaper budget" but a new baby due in January.
Thanks so much for this post!
They are supposed to be back in stock the beginning of October. I will keep you posted! I will shoot you an email too ;)
ReplyDeleteHey--I was wondering if you had any thoughts on Sunbaby diapers. (They're pockets.. but I was thinking that with that microfiber lining maybe you could use them like covers during the day and like pockets at night or if your little one had a rash. Or maybe you could just cut out the lining and use them as covers?) My daughter is long out of diapers (she's 10, I'm 29, we cloth diapered her--it's been a very long time), but I'm thinking about for the next one. I don't have any experience with pockets OR the whole adjustable cover thing. (I was just thrilled to have bummi super snap wraps instead of pull on rubber pants or gerber covers with scratchy velcro!) I like the *idea* of an adjustable cover, but am a little wary. I can do some basic sewing, so I thought maybe the 12 pack of sunbabies with 12 inserts for $60. ($5 each! That's cheaper than what I paid for used bummis 10 years ago.) And then I'd have another $40 to spend on prefolds/inserts, some of which I could pretty easily make from 25 cent thrift store tshirts if need be. I also know that I'd rather buy used prefolds than new ones. (I don't like having to pre-wash the new ones multiple times to get them to quilt up. And I think that the used ones are softer. Oh.. and they're cheaper.) It seemed like using this strategy you could probably get three days worth of dipes for $100. I wouldn't want dirty dipes to sit for more than 3 days, so I'm thinking that 3 days worth is a good amount to have. (You wash when you have to wash--right?) Thoughts?
ReplyDelete